Wednesday, April 25, 2007

We're Back


Well, we're finally back from Arizona. My wonderful Nana passed away very suddenly two weeks ago. Scott, Duke and I drove home so that we could be there with my family and go to the funeral. It is still really hard to accept the fact that she is gone. Scott and I were fortunate enough to live with Nana and Papa for two years before we came to San Francisco. I feel like I am so lucky to have been able to spend so much time with her in my life and really get to know the kind of person that she was, especially in those last few years. She was a wonderful Nana and we love her and Papa very much. We will miss her everyday.
Here are just a few of my favorite things and memories of her:
*eating cake scraps when she was making a wedding cake (cake scraps are much better than the actual cake)
*BBQ's every Saturday night for as long as I can remember
*sitting on her bed after work and going through all of her beautiful treasures
*trying to learn how to crochet over the phone
*her made up nursery rhymes that always involved swear words

6 comments:

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Rachel, I am so sorry your nana passed. The memories of her will really get you through the hard times. You are lucky you were able to spend all that time with her. I remember going over there when you guys lived with her. We hung out in the back yard after seeing a movie. Well, I'm glad you are back. We need to get together before you are gone permanently!

Candice said...

Rachael-
I am sorry to hear about your nana, too. She sounds like a neat lady! I would love to hear her version of nursery rhymes sometime. :) Glad you are home. 6 weeks and counting- can you believe it?

Chelsey said...

"listen, listen, the cats' a-pissin'
where? where? under the chair.
quick, quick get the gun
ah, shit he's all done."

I probably will only teach that one to Duke.

Katie said...

sounds like your Nana was a lot of fun. I am sorry for your loss.

Grace Ryan said...

Rach, I'm so sorry about your Nana. She seemed to be quite the funny one. I hope you are dealing with it okay. Let's get together soon , like tomorrow night, rent a movie and cry. I'm always up for those nights! We are glad you are finally back. Oh and I hope you get her cool napkins. I think that would be special to have those since she taught you how to croquet. Take Care girlfriend.

Maury said...

Oh how I wish I had many pearls of wisdom on dealing with death, but I don't... All I can say is you WILL always miss her and you WILL think of her everyday for the rest of your life... and as time goes on each memory brings less and less sadness and more and more laughter and happiness. Love you tons!