Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Years Resolutions

It's that time of the year again. My mom asked us to all say what our new resolutions were for 2008 and I joked to her that my life was perfect and needed no changing. Every year I make resolutions that don't make it through January but this time I wanted to think long and hard about what I want for me and my family for the new year. I have finally decided what they will be and I actually wasn't so far off when I told my mom that my life was perfect. This year I am not going to care so much. I'm going to redefine what perfect in my life is going to be. I'm going to be the perfect mom this year, and that doesn't include a clean house, a homecooked meal, and keeping my child quiet during sacrament. I'm going to try my hardest not to dwell on my billions of imperfections and try a little harder to be happier with who I am. I'm not very organized and I don't remember birthdays very well. Those are things that I am going to accept. I am going to love Duke until he can't stand it anymore. I want every day to be a happy day for him whether the laundry gets done or not. I don't think he cares much about mopping and grocery shopping and neither do I. I hope to spend more time just playing cars with him and less time doing dishes. If I woke up tomorrow and he wasn't there I'm afraid I would regret mostly that I took the fifteen minutes that he was coloring (what he thinks are smiley faces), to check my email. So there you have it. There are millions of perfect bits to every day and I don't want to miss a one because I felt like I couldn't be caught dead in a messy house. So no more wasted energy. No more lying awake at night moping about how I did it all wrong. Instead of trying to fix my life and my family and myself, I am going to do my best to love every piece of it. Happy New Year everyone.

10 comments:

Sarah Hawkins said...

Great resolution! I totally agree with you, I need to take more time out to play with my kids also!Happy New Year!

Natalie Hall said...

So well written! You could of not said it better. So true, so true.

Kim A said...

Very well said Rachael....and I hope you're feeling better!

Lisa Harris said...

So like i said on the phone..I will start this as soon as my floors are mopped and counters cleaned..toliets scrubbed and I have perfect vacuum lines. I think I have really improved as far as the girls go. I can leave the house without their hair done or with Avery mismatched and it doesn't bother me anymore. That has to count for something..right?

Hess Fam said...

Well said! Just one concern...that's not going to cut out blogging is it? ;) I love that resolution! See you next week!

kara said...

Good for you! I gave up laundry, cooking, and cleaning ages ago (Eric would counter that I never started). It's very liberating...and the smell isn't so bad most of the time.

Chunky Monkey said...

I think that you are right Rachel.Duke doesn't care about mopping.He is the cutest little boy EVER!I bet he is pretty funny too.And your neice Avery is in my primary class and is she ever hilarious.I just LOVE her!and the fifty clippies she likes to put in her hair.

Lisa Harris said...

Umm Shelley..let me remind you that you made most of the 50 clips in Ave's hair. She thinks if she wears them all in a row it will be a french braid. I just go along with it..it's part of Rachael's New Year's resolution.

Tracy said...

Amen to that sister.

Hillary said...

What a great attitude Rach. You are always so inspiring!