Sunday, June 13, 2010

No Pics Yet, But...

I'm dying to report on the marathon before the high wears off.
It was such an awesome experience to accomplish such a task.
I hope this feeling never leaves my heart.
I wish I could go as far as to say that I loved every minute of it, but that wouldn't be true.
I did love being there with so many good friends and family.
That was the perfect way to run my first (hopefully not last)
26.2.

We woke up at 3:00 am.
Got on the bus around 4:00.
When we got to Heber it was 38 degrees and lightly snowing.
For the first 15 miles it was pouring rain on us and stayed in the thirties.
Sounds miserable, but surprisingly it wasn't.
Everything was so green and gorgeous.

I was really discouraged with my body for the first half.
It was hard for me to move being so frozen.
Then out of nowhere at mile 15 my sister was waiting for me.
:)
Seeing a familiar and supporting face was just what I needed to lift my spirits.

The next 5 miles went pretty smoothe.
Then I saw mile 20.
The most exciting part of that was seeing Scott waiting for me.
Another boost of confidence.
Finally 26.2 and I
FINISHED.

That was so hard. It is really true though that the most rewarding things in life are the things you have to suffer the most through. My body has never hurt so bad as it does today, but my soul hasn't felt this good in a long time. I'm soooo grateful for all the help and encouragement I was able to be the recipient of.
Every member of my family has taken countless hours out of their lives to watch my kids so that I could make sure to get my running done. They are probably all happier than me that this is over.
And last but not least,
A HUGE congrats to Maury for qualifying for Boston with a 3:38 time.
We love you, Maury and we are always here to support you through your bitter and your sweet moments. I'm saving my pennies to hopefully be cheering you on from the sidelines.
Biggest hugs, M.

8 comments:

Hess Fam said...

To the girl who told said, "I'm not a runner....if I can run the short leg of the ragnar...you can." BLAH! I cant even handle this accomplishment! How did this happen? I'm very proud of you my friend.
...and Congrats to Maury too!
You're all a bunch of superstars!

Mom said...

You are amazing! I am so proud of you and this accomplishment. Who knew? Love you.

Maury said...

I couldn't think of anyone else I would have rather rode that shuttle bus with. I am so, so proud of you. You better be in Boston in April... since you're partially responsible for my presence there... thanks for the four-leaf clover:)

Tiffany said...

I know I've already said it about a million times, but CONGRATS Rach! This is such a huge accomplishment and I know you worked so hard for it! I'm so happy for you and so proud of you and can't wait to see pics! Wish I could have been there...we must run one together someday!
Congrats to your sister in law! Boston!? That is awesome!! And so exciting!

Lisa Harris said...

The little engine that could...
that is you friend!

SUMMER said...

This is a HUGE accomplishment. Congrats Rachael!

Karen Burr said...

Congratulations friend!

Tiffany said...

Post some damn marathon pics already, Rach!!! ;)